electrical dangers at home

Electrical dangers at home

Electrical safety hazards can lurk in any given home. Even newly constructed houses can have their share of hazards especially if there are incorrect installations or failure to abide by safety guidelines. Gforce Green Electric Solutions There however are grave electrical issues that could damage property, cause injuries, and threaten lives.

What is crucial is for every homeowner to realize that safety measures should remain in place and that electrical safety must be observed always. Investing time and money in an annual electrical safety inspection is also key to being one step ahead of sustaining electrical injuries and destruction of property. Keeping a keen eye on electrical issues, and seeking professional assistance right away are also good ways to avoid lethal injuries and devastating property damage.

Poor or faulty electrical wiring

Faulty wiring is one of the most common causes of electrical fires. Unfortunately, it is not only attributed to human error due to incorrect installation or ill-maintenance. Lakeside Location Sometimes, it is due to pest infestation, where dogs, cats or rats, and other pests may have chewed on electrical wiring, causing serious electrical problems.

When the wiring is heavily corroded, damaged, or worn out it tends to spark an electrical fire, cause damage to appliances, or both. As soon as a homeowner notice signs of faulty electrical wiring like buzzing on outlets and switches, dimming and flickering lights, as well as signs of scorching in outlet plates, he should immediately seek professional repair from a qualified residential electrician.

Having a non-GFCI electrical outlet near a water source

Maintaining a non-GFCI outlet next to a water source is one of the worst things a homeowner can do. Since water and electricity do not mix, any splash of water in a receptacle can cause electrical shocks or worse electrocution. It could also damage the appliance or device plugged in on the receptacle. Poway Location  Children are also more susceptible to getting electrocuted this way since they are more likely to get curious, poke at receptacles or play with water.

The best way to deal with this is to have a GFCI or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlet installed in areas near a water source. These areas include the kitchen and the bathroom, as well as areas near windows where water could get in, in the event of heavy rain or inclement weather.

 Overreliance on extension cords

Not having enough electrical outlets could make any home over-dependent on extension wires. Extension wires present physical hazards such as tripping and can promote overloading. Ask a residential electrician to install more power outlets as needed.