kitchen electrical work

electrical safety in the kitchen should be a priority

The kitchen is home to various types of appliances, of all sizes. Refrigerators, ice makers, electric ranges, cookers, ovens, and dishwashers all work using high voltage power. Appliances such as coffee makers, microwave ovens, bread toasters, slow cookers, electric pressure cookers, food processors, blenders, and electric mixers also require a sizeable amount of power. Moreover, good lighting is needed in the kitchen. Gforce Electric Website

With the myriad of machines and appliances in this space, electrical safety remains important. Neglecting safety in this area could mean accidents as well as damage to appliances.

Start with the appropriate receptacles

Safety starts with the correct power outlets in the kitchen. Since water and the kitchen are inseparable, it is best to use GFCI outlets to reduce the possibility of electrical shocks and appliance damage. GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters. This type of outlet automatically cuts off power once water gets into the appliance that is plugged into it, or if water gets into the outlet itself. Huntington Beach Location

The electrical safety code mandates the use of GFCIs in newly constructed homes. Older homes are encouraged to upgrade into this type of outlet to help ensure kitchen safety.

Unplug when not in use

The good thing about most kitchen appliances is they do not require plugging when not being used. So, it is best to unplug microwave ovens, coffee makers, espresso machines, electric cookers, toasters, and the like when they are not in use so that they will refrain from using up power, and accidents due to overheating are minimized. Gforce Green Electric Solutions Lakeside

Avoid using extension cords permanently

Extension cords are not meant for permanent use. If there is a need for additional outlets, it is safer to ask a residential electrician to install an additional outlet in the kitchen. Extension cords are prone to causing electrical overloading, and accidents like electrical shock since liquids can easily get spilled on the extension plug. It is also best to just plug one appliance per one outlet to avoid electrical overload. While this may seem impractical, it is a safe way of utilizing kitchen appliances without tripping a breaker.

Lastly, homeowners should never leave kitchen appliances unattended. Kitchen fires usually occur when heat-producing appliances are working and are forgotten about.